Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

One of my Cockatiels unfortunately died under anesthetic

Customer Question

One of my Cockatiels unfortunately died under anesthetic last weekend, the other one has now become very moody and aggressive, I am looking to find him another mate. Is that a good idea and if so where should I go?
Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Cockatiel
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cockatiel?
Customer: Depression I think, its partner of 11 years died last weekend
Assistant: What is the cockatiel's name?
Customer: Sid
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sid?
Customer: He has become moody and aggressive
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Jav917 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for ove 35 years and I would like tkako assist you.

I am sorry for the loss of your Cockatiel .

How old is the current Bird at hom?

Do you want to get a make or femal for a companion?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is 11 and I think a female around the same age
Expert:  Jav917 replied 1 month ago.

I think getting another companion,would be a good idea. The big issue is do you want to get a young bird or one closer to your current bir's age. I would check some Avian Rescues to see if they have one that would be compatable.

You could try a breeder, but they usually will sell only young birds and that may not work.

A Pet shop usually carries Birds that would work, but I always suggest when getting any pet from a Pet shop, the first stop should be the Vets office to have the new Pet checked out befor an introduction.

I do think that getting a new companion for your Cockatiel is the way to make it feel better, but the choice of where you would like to get the bird is the big issue.

I would rule out the Breeder and look to the Rescue where you know the bird has been checked out or the Pet shop where you can choose from the birds they have available.

Pleasereply to discuss this further.

Joan