Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Are crows, jackdaws and/or seagulls protected species? No

Are crows, jackdaws and/or seagulls protected species?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?
Customer: No problems but also should any of them be fed bread?
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: No bird hurt. These are just general questions.
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: No specific bird with name or age - just a couple of general questions re. protected species and the advisability of feeding bread to crows, jackdaws and seagulls
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: Nothing - please just answer the questions I have asked.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
According to the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981: The lethal control (killing) of pigeons, seagulls and other wild birds (including Jackdaws and Crows) in the UK is legislated by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), courtesy of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Chapter 69), which effectively reports that it is illegal to kill or injure any wild bird, including pigeons and seagulls, unless general licensing regulations are complied with.
All birds, their nests and eggs are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended). Certain rare species (Schedule 1 birds) receive additional protection from disturbance while breeding.
Bread is not a suitable food at all. A better option would be insects, worms, mealworms peas, corn etc
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I have a neighbor who insists that crows, jackdaws and seagulls are endangered species and therefore insists on feeding them bread. I appreciate your confirmation that feeding them bread is not a suitable food. Again I appreciate your information about "lethal control (killing)" but are they really an endagendered species?
Not a problem. They are protected but they are not endangered as there are so many of them. Endangered would mean they are at risk of extinction which they are certainly not!