S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Work w/Avian Vet; published bird care nutrition& behavior articles; consults, research
1604863

Morning, I have been given a francolin bird which hit the

Morning, I have been given a francolin bird which hit the roof of the shed it was kept in and was ok but within 2 weeks has started shaking its head as if having a seizure. I
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name?
Customer: It is a grey Francolin bird , I have named it tweety
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: I was left the bird yesterday. From my observation after the seizures he sits down from some time as if recovering. Tweety's aim is not good when drinking water or eating seeds. He also is very quiet. The owner said he should to sing in a loud clear voice. Now it's a very quiet Twitter.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can wait

After his flight accident, despite what the previous owner claimed, this poor fellow isn't fine. He likely has an internal injury/brain injury causing these seizures and the prudent thing that owner could have done/should have done would have been get him to a vet right away.

Tweety isn't happy with this anymore than you are.

Human studies have shown that approximately 60% of patients with brain injuries have concurrent injuries to other major organs. This rate may be even higher in avian patients given the smaller size of their body in relationship to the traumatic incident. Consequently, a thorough physical examination to detect other injuries is essential. Airway, breathing and circulation must be addressed prior to any other abnormalities. It is important to recognize a bird in hypovolemic shock or with hypoxemia. Ideally, a minimum hematological database should include packed cell volume, total protein, blood glucose, and electrolyte levels. In addition, because the avian eyes occupy such a large proportion of the skull, ophthalmic trauma is often seen concurrently with head trauma. Thus, a thorough ophthalmic examination should be conducted during the physical examination.

(Ref: Florina S. Tseng, DVM Associate Professor of Wildlife Medicine Department of Infectious Disease and Global Health Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University)

Bot***** *****ne: He absolutely needs to be seen. Before any treatment can be offered the extent of injury has to be determined. I'm very sorry that the original owner just passed a 'broken bird' off on you like this. It's not fair. Still, you can help him by doing the right thing that they didn't.

It's worth it once you hear his sweet songs of appreciation and love, right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thankyou for your support. I have asked the local vet and they have asked me if I want to put it down and or have gave me a contact who specialises in birds, they said he can be given a seizure Medicine to help with the seizures. He has had so many seizures in a day yesterday and now is struggling to eat. I am trying to feed it and make sure he has a drink. It is heart breaking to see its struggle, I don't think he is going to make it. But I will see what we can do. Thankyou

Oh please try meds first. All of the birds in my sanctuary are broken in some way and have very special needs. One is crippled and can only drag herself around; one is blind; one is just plain whacko and goes from nice to mean in 1 whole second and the others are equally challenged.

What I can tell you is that as long as they aren't suffering in pain and can still find joy in life, they really deserve that chance.

If you need me to work with you and your bird once you find out whether or not it's reasonable to save him, I will stand by both of you forever!

(Rating this will only take it off the open board; we can continue as long as you need)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand where you are coming from. My heart is literally being broken into pieces you see I suffer from some sort of seizures although the Dr has not been able to diagnose me and think it is related to traumatic experience. At the time of my seizures , I would feel soo helpless and just want my final breath to come out . I see the bird trying to get control of his head but can't. His head is wacked soo many times a day. I have to remove the food bowls because he is wacking his head every where. Tweety sits down for a long time with a tiny chirp chirp. He can't handle stress because it brings on seizures, even after a drink of water he has another seizure because he is trying so hard to aim at the bowl to drink water. He ate yesterday morning. I tried to put almond powder into his water so he has a little strength. The vet I need to see is on holiday, I can book in for 2nd Sept. What can I try feeding the bird for strength?

Have you a belief in a higher power? This bird may be in your life and YOU in his, for a reason.

While the bird may benefit from meds, you may benefit from the bird. With seizures from an unknown etiology such as yours, until medical research takes that next step ahead to figure you out. Meanwhile, there is something soothing and grounding about letting an animal into your heart - and more so when that animal is similarly 'disabled' (differently abled) as you are.

Give him every chance - just like you'd want.

Until then, offer his food and water at the bottom of the cage - in shallow, wide dishes rather than deeper bowls. Be sure the perches are nowhere above the dishes and even so, be sure they are meticulously clean throughout the day.

Lower his perches to just enough above the bottom so that his tail has plenty of clearance and not dragging on bottom. This way if he falls, he won't get hurt and can recover quickly. With larger, wider dishes to eat and drink from - he just has to get into the general area of food/water and he'll succeed.

Note: Make sure the water dish doesn't hold water high enough to reach his 'knees' (which are actually 'elbows' ). In case he falls in he won't drown. However, if he has a seizure near or in this or any water source that's a threat so watch over him carefully during the day. At night he shouldn't be doing anything but sleeping. Keep an ear out anyway

This bird and you may be made for each other. And again, I will support you BOTH all the way

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thankyou. It brings a smile to my face to know that there is another human being soo caring towarsds Allah ( Gods) creation. I am muslim and I have been taught about the rights of animals , how lovingly our prophet ( peace be upon him) would care for his goat. I will get help from another expert, one that is local to me soon.

Before one side of my family arrived here 'in the good old days' (from Syria of all places) they were also Muslim. I am 2nd generation American, but with my grandparents living with me as they became 'Americanized' I had the blessing of seeing and learning both their Muslim history and the Christians they thought they had to become to fit in. My faith in God/Allah no matter what we call Him is exactly how I was brought to this animal care ministry and how I keep doing it despite daily heartbreak, incredible challenges and though few, when they happen the rewards to my very core upon seeing successes.

I truly believe that your little one is in your life with a lesson to teach - and all you have to do is what's put in front of you. Always doing the right thing no matter what anyone or everyone else does or says.

Again, I'm here for you ok?

And very happy to meet you !

Experience: Work w/Avian Vet; published bird care nutrition& behavior articles; consults, research

Please don't forget to rate this for me. It's the only way I can take it off the "open boards". I hope you have no further troubles - but if you do, I'm here in "Relationships" category if it's you who needs support and as usual in "Birds" if your little one does.