Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Our parrot has had his pins and bandages removed and is now

Hi,Our parrot has had his pins and bandages removed and is now starting to gain more strength in his legs. How long does the recovery period take until he will be able to go back into his cage? Thanks.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

That's good to hear that he is healing well, I would have thought another 2 weeks or so to help build up the strength in her legs. However I would follow the advice given by your vet/orthopedic surgeon regarding reintroduction to exercise/flight etc as they will have the benefit of being able to evaluate the healing on her xrays.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you need any further advice or information.

Chris

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Dear *****, thanks for your message. The right leg has healed very nicely, but the left leg (which was an open fracture) has set incorrectly. This means his foot is pointing in the wrong direction. His claws on this foot are still clamped. Do you think it is likely that he will ever have movement in this foot again? The vet did mention that we may be able to break and re-set this leg. Given the fact the bone has actually set, albeit in the wrong place, is it possible that eventually, with intervention, he can have a normal leg with a foot that moves again? Thanks.

I would be concerned that nerve damage is more the issue than the position of the leg itself, with an open fracture there is likely to be significant soft tissue trauma and this may have damaged the nerve supply. Only time will tell but I would prepare yourself for the fact that full function of the foot may not be regained and a second surgery may not improve this.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** The X-Ray showed soft tissue growth, does this have anything to do with the nerves? Thank you.

No I'm afraid an xray will not give us information about the nerves. The soft tissue growth may be scar tissue which has formed at the site of the injury