Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

One of our pet budgies has been losing its features for some

One of our pet budgies has been losing its features for some time and they have not grown back. There are significant areas of bald and exposed skin. He is generally well, active around the large cage (cant fly dye to lack of feathers) and has a good appetite. The other budgie and two zebra finches are all totally fine and get on well with him too. Any idea what is wrong and how we might help his recovery please?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the budgie's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is approximately 4 years.
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ben?
Customer: He came from a pet shop and a smaller cage there which had a lot of other budgies in. He was fully feathered when we got him though looking back he probably did not have a perfect plumage....ever so slightly untidy but we put that down to him being caged in a shop with lots of others. We have had him for just over years.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this problem with Ben, are you able to send me a picture of the affected areas?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Here he is...
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
A better shot

Thanks for those. I would advise initially treating for mites using ivermectin (Xeno 50 Mini), 3 treatments at 2 week intervals. If this doesn't resolve the problem then a full veterinary examination will be needed to identify the underlying cause of the problem.

I hope that helps?

Chris

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you. Can I buy that in a pet shop or is it only obtainable from a veterinary clinic? Thanks
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Do mites tend to stay on one bird? The other 3 are unaffected ?

They can be contagious but you are more likely to see symptoms if the bird is otherwise debilitated in some way, so that could be the case here

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you. I have followed the link and if I understand correctly one is an oral suspension for internal mites and one is to be put in the skin for external and, i think internal, mites. Which do you recommend please?

Apologies if the link was not clear. The Xeno 50 is for external application only, mite are only found externally in the skin.

This is the product you require, note that it may be cheaper from other websites, this is purely any example.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/xeno-spot-on

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you. Will check.

You're welcome