S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Work w/Avian Vet; published bird care nutrition& behavior articles; consults, research
1604863

I have one male very tame male budgie in a cage which is let

Customer Question

I have one male very tame male budgie in a cage which is let out regularly for a few hours a day.We are going away for 4 days leaving it on its own.Food supply is no problem as we have large seed dispensers attached to the cage.The water would remain unchanged for those days.We have nobody able to visit whilst we are away.Would the bird likely come to any harm during those days?I have considered leaving the cage open so that it can have a'flap' if it needs to as it has been used to that for the past year that we have had it(the bird we have had from birth and is about a year old) thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the budgie's name?
Customer: Not surprisingly and unoriginally'Joey'
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the budgie?
Customer: No
Category: Bird
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 17 days ago.

It's not so much that he'll starve or dehydrate given the system you have set up. Just remember that seeds can look 'fresh' and full, but be nothing but the hulls - and water can evaporate or get soiled by any number of things. Just recently one of the local vets I work with was presented FOUR birds that went 4 days like this when their owner died and no one knew for 4 days. They were near death themselves having become dehydrated when their water actually ran out/evaporated (you never when a bird will decide it's bath time and use the water up for that)

The main concern is boredom and feeling abandoned which can provoke behavioral issues when you return. Joey (which is actually pretty original, in 19 years I"ve never met a Joey) may become distant, aggressive (out of confusion, insecurity), etc..

If you have a way to set your t.v. to turn on in the morning and off at dusk it may help.

A neighbor coming in to do just this may be an option - and while there to talk to Joey for a minute and make sure water is clean.

There are many actual Bird Sitters out there - check with local "Pet Sitters" to find out - call local vets to find out if they recommend anyone for pet sitting. It's one of the fastest growing pet industries in the world. People don't want to give up their freedom to travel just because they have a pet that can't go with them.

And that's the other option: Get an easy to handle travel cage and take your boy with you. Airlines allow birds in a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you on the plane, but call first to be sure you meet their criteria, which is usually a vet check up just days prior and a paper to prove it

The actual 'travel cage' can go in cargo. I've done this multiple times with special needs birds that a pet sitter couldn't handle.

So you've got a few options now - do they work for you?

Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 10 days ago.

How is it going? Did you take your getaway ?