Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

My african grey has started pulling his feathers out. Can

Customer Question

My african grey has started pulling his feathers out. Can you advise me?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your bird?
Customer: He has started to pull his feathers out.
JA: Where does your bird seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesnt seem to hurt anywhere.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is your bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fergie?
Customer: No, he is eating and drinking normally and taiking all the time
Category: Bird
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 5 months ago.

Tell me a little more about what Fergie is eating as a regular diet.

Also, importantly, how long as this been plucking been going on?

Where are the feathers being pulled out? If you could attach a photo it would be helpful

We'll work together on this - I've had some good success with Grey's feather plucking, but it's the owner that really needs to make the changes. You up to that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fergie eats normal parrot food and fruit (fresh) and he plucks his feathers from his chest and legs for about 3 weeks . I would be happy to help any way I can.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fergie has his drinking water boiled and a multi vitamin added .

There are hundreds of what's called 'normal parrot food' - could you please tell me what you see when you look at this parrot food? I can't see what you see - you need to be my eyes.

Fresh fruits like .... ? Grapes, bananas, oranges, apples, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mulberries, cactus fruit, melons, so many to choose from, which are his favorites?

I need to know what he eats the most of every day. Like humans right? We can all say we eat 'cereal' in the morning, but there's a thousand different cereals. We all eat some fruit, but you'll rarely find me eating apples and while I used to love avocados, can't really stand them these days and of course birds should have no part of that fruit.

So a little more detail would help - I need to "see" what you're looking at and to "know" what you know