Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My cat bit my bird and i'm not sure what to do. He doesn't

My cat bit my bird and i'm not sure what to do. He doesn't show much sign of discomfort but i checked him out and there is a spot on his back that appears to be bleeding. Will it heal by itself or do i need to take him to a vet?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** i've had him for around 1 and a half years now
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?
Customer: he is a celestial parrotlet

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago was he bit?

Any pus or discharge?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It was just under half an hour ago, and no pus that i could see. I took a photo when i first examined him but it isn't of great quality so if you'd like another i can try and get a better one
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I hope the photos send right if not i'll upload them somewhere

Hi again,

Thankfully that looks very superficial but as birds have very thin skin it has gone through.

Now if it was that recent, then we'd not see signs of infection yet but I want you to keep a close eye out for that. Cat saliva is full of bacteria and abscesses/infection are really common in these situations. And that is our biggest enemy here for Gizmo. Of course, at the moment we need to make sure that is not actively bleeding. If it is, he needs to be caught and pressure applied to stop the bleeding. Cornflour or flour can be used just as a means to help clot the bleed quicker if it isn't stopped with pressure.

Otherwise, for the next few days, we need to keep things calm and quiet so that he isn't overly stressed. The wound can be flushed this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream. We of course need to make sure he cannot reach the wound, else he may need a little wrap. If it closes up without issue then we are happy. But any pus, swelling, discomfort or redness and we'd want the local vet to see him as often these needs antibiotics (even if not needing to be stitched).

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** thing, Gizmo shares a cage with another parrotlet Pixel, will it be fine to keep them together while he heals?

Hi again,

Ideally not because we don't Pixel picking at this. So, best to separate (but they can be in cages near one another) else you need to keep a close eye there.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

**************************

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Alright thank you so much for your help :)

You are very welcome, my dear.

Glad to be of help & wish you both the best there. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B