S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Work w/Avian Vet; published bird care nutrition& behavior articles; consults, research
1604863

My Indian ringneck chewed on a lily and I don’t know if he’s

My Indian ringneck chewed on a lily and I don’t know if he’s ate a bit, what can I do please I don’t know where my closest avain vet is
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the bird will be able to digest that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Kiwi he’s 6 months old
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kiwi?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It’s a white oriental lily, he’s acting normal, eating and drinking, I will get activated charcoal from local vet in 3 hours time when it opens

If this was an Easter or Tiger Lily you have nothing to worry about.

It's not exactly something I'd serve for dinner to your little guy, but it's safe if he took a nibble

Hope this makes you feel better

Just a follow up - if it was a Calla Lily - yes, you need to see the vet.

Will you let me know?

It was just pointed out to me you posted "Oriental Lily", unfortunately, yes this one also requires a vet visit; however the nibble you're not even sure he actually ate is likely going to be harmless, but the visit to the vet, better safe than sorry, is prudent.

You're a good owner - this is a lucky bird

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi thank you, ***** ***** has given me activated charcoal to give him 0.5ml tonight and tomorrow but will I need to see a avian vet?

I'm sorry for the delay, I stayed long enough to respond to you earlier today and had housecalls to make. Just got back and you're my priority

You've mentioned you're not very sure if your bird (what's his name?) actually ate or swallowed any right? If he did, it was very minimal?

Have you begun the activated charcoal?

Is he eating normally and drinking? Tell me what his poops look like today

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is acting normal 22 hours after it’s happened and we are giving kiwi the activated charcoal as advised, Should he be ok now if there’s no signs or should I watch for certain signs over the next day or so?

The things to watch for are any changes to his droppings. Mainly discoloration and/or polyuria (too watery). Any signs of yellow or a yellow-green that you have not seen before would be indications that his liver may be effected; however, at this point I think he'll be ok. The charcoal together with his very likely NOT swallowing any of the plant are on your side.

He's behaving normally, not lethargic, not going off his food and it has been two days - I'd breathe a little easier but keep watching

You got this right?

Btw, where are you located? I'm in N.CA

All good?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you he is good, acting completely normal thank you