Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

I have a new hen that was attacked by the older ones. They

Customer Question

I have a new hen that was attacked by the older ones. They ripped the back of her neck right to the bone all the way to the ears. I have put colloidal silver and aloe vera on the wound twice a day, but I want to know if she has a chance of survival and how I can feed her as she can't easily move her neck.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the hen bleeding a lot?
Customer: Not at all now.
JA: What is the hen's name?
Customer: She's new. I haven't named her yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the hen?
Customer: Not that I know of. This happened two days ago and she seems to have perked up a bit.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 2 months ago.

Sorry to hear this, would you be able to send me a picture of the injury?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unfortunately not. I will take a picture tonight.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She seems a bit perkier today, but obviously in a lot of pain. I gave her some water using one of those hamster drinkers, laced with a single aspirin.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried tempting her with live mealworm, but although she grabbed it, she couldn't swallow it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 2 months ago.

OK. It does sound quite serious from your description and I would be concerned that it may not heal well and/or get infected. A picture would be helpful if you can take one