Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Second opinion] My budgie’s left foot looks limp and he is

Customer Question

second opinion] Hi. My budgie’s left foot looks limp and he is biting at it. Took him to vet today who has given him pain killers and to review in a week. He has always been very thin and doesn’t fly well but comes out of cage and enjoys company. Over the past 2 weeks has been overly friendly, trying to fly more. His poos look normal.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is no wound on the foot. Vet suggests there may be soft tissue damage but nothing to see
Assistant: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Budgie
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: He has been struggling to get to his food and water. We have adjusted his perch low to help
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. How old is your budgie, please? If an older bird, has his coelom (abdomen) been palpated for a renal or testicular tumor impinging on the sciatic nerve running down into his left leg?