Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My green cheek conure's poop consisting of bubbles since

Customer Question

Hi, my green cheek conure's poop consisting of bubbles since last night. It was 2-3 bubbles first time then nothing for another 2 or 3 poops. Then no bubbles in the morning and then since mid morning 1-2 bubbles in every poop. Poop looks normal otherwise. She seems to be active and normal. I've another conure as well which had a bubbly poop in the morning and after that normal poops. Both of them had some veg like broccoli, capsicum, carrots and pellets and seeds yesterday. Since this morning I'm feeding them only pellets and seeds. Please advise asap.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Bonnie, 2 years 1 month old
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bonnie?
Customer: Bonnie is a very active and curious bird. She still looks active but as I'm tensed I'm unable to compare it with her usual activity
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thankfully, the bubbles rarely indicate pathology. Think of them as the same gas we expel from time to time. The gas usually is comprised of air that is ingested but can also indicate the presence of gas-forming bacteria in the gut acting on certain foods such as the broccoli you offered. Here's a more complete list of these foods:

• Beans and lentils
  • Asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and other vegetables
  • Fructose, a natural sugar found in artichokes, onions, pears, wheat, and some soft drinks
  • Lactose, the natural sugar found in milk
  • Fruits, oat bran, peas, and other foods high in soluble fiber, which gets digested in the large intestine
  • Corn, pasta, potatoes, and other foods rich in starch
  • Sorbitol, the artificial sweetener
  • Whole grains, such as brown rice, oatmeal, and whole wheat

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi one of them having poops like this. Very small tubular fecal portion.i must say they had pellets this morning
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this bad

Nicely normal. Pelleted diets can result in such feces and the feces can also turn brown.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt-out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's okay. I took bonnie to an avian specialist ( they say she has a lot of experience) everything looks okay she said. And asked me to give Avipro Avian probiotics to both of them for sometime .but she dint tell how long should I give it and she said a pinch in their feed. Could you please advise.

There is no scholarly evidence for one dose over another and so following the instructions on the product label is recommended. Similarly, there are no scholarly studies confirming efficacy of probiotics in birds. The best I can tell you is that they won't be harmful.