Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

I have 5 chickens one is the "mother" so the others are

Customer Question

I have 5 chickens one is the "mother" so the others are 19weeks old now. The mother seems to be of a good age as she has dry scaley legs?! All of a sudden the others have started bullying her and now she hides in a bush when free ranging. I've separated her to a coop/run next to the big one as I thought she may be ill but I cannot work it out!
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the chicken's name?
Customer: The mother hen is named Sylvia she's a grey Bantam believed to be a bread game bird, one is her own I think and the other 3 are a cross from another hen who laid, they were farm chickens so can only imagine some eggs got mixed up?!
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the chicken?
Customer: Not at the moment I don't think.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 10 days ago.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better your case. Any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications we are on?
How are her legs doing now?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Her legs have always been dry and scaley since we had her when chicks hatched at the farm 19 weeks ago. She's not eating like usual, normally loves her mixed corn (only has a few bits of the sweetcorn) loves mealworms (not interested) pecks a few bits of fruit or scraps but then is not interested. Some poos are good some are soft with a tiny bit of mucus maybe. She's making a really loud squawking sound over and over again, she's been sneezing a bit but it's not all the time, when I pick her up and listen to her when she makes any noise it does seem a little nasaly, I've tried looking for mites but don't really know how to look and handle her at the same time, I've lifted feathers in various places where I can and could see anything, beneath her vent looked a bit "bitty" but I think that was just dirt from her bath earlier on. She is washing herself a lot but I can't decide if that's because I'm watching her a lot and noticed she does it a fair bit?!
Now the other chickens. Are they trying to pick and go after her legs also and the whole body ?
If the legs are This scaly. There may be some mites also causing the continual issues. In which case you may want to also work on eradicating any mites also.
This next link will discuss options to work on the leg mites
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No they just peck her back and face/comb and pull her about when they get a good grip of her.

Can you send some pictures of the legs? This is chicken/flock mentality. They are a bit carnivorous/canabilistic. When one is injured or weak, it is their instinct to peck on them, many times to the point of killing them. This is why it will be good to keep segregated until the legs are healed. If we put back in sooner, they will keep attacking her and doing more harm to her. Once I review the images of the legs, I may have some other ideas of what we can do to help the legs also.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I've looked at pictures of leg mites and Sylvia's (hen in question) don't look that bad more flakes than scales I guess, I'll have a look in the morning and take some pictures. I know she's acting out of character but would the others pick on her because she's old (I believe she's old) (how do you tell a chickens true age?)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also I did notice her lobes/face fading from red to pale then back to red and so forth but can't pinpoint when the change happens it happens within minutes and then returns back again.

We can keep this message open for 5 days, I will be happy to review the images tomorrow. They not pick on her so much due to her age, it is more due to her injuries/weakness and once they start picking on one, the whole flock will keep doing it. This is why I want to see the legs, to see what we can do to help heal them quicker such that all the other chickens will stop the attacking of her.

This link can give good advise on aging the chickens too
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/how-to-tell-how-old-your-chickens-are/
The changing of The face has to do with increased blood flow into these areas. As there is more blood flow, possibly increased blood pressure. Then these Areas May be more red
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How do I send pictures
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NJRkA1c57RAUsXfK7
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is the only way I could figure a way to send pictures
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y35GxzW7iDz7Xb5x6
This is a poo she did this morning (sorry)
Thank you for sending the photos. The way the legs look now, how long have they looked like this? Are they getting worse ? Does she seem irritated by them? Like picking or scratching at them a lot ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They've always looked dry and flakey like in the picture, that's what made me think she was an older hen, I'll send a picture of her when the chicks were younger I personally don't think legs look much different . Her poo doesn't look very good though.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D3XCZGoqiUBiQJo86
Dúoxo Pyo pads
Duoxo pyo shampoo
Duoxo pyo spray
These can be orders on Amazon in UK, they have chlorhexidine in them and an anti yeast component. Together they will help to get the legs healthier also. Do the shampoo first, let it lather on the legs for 10 minutes, then rinse it off. Then you can use the spray on the legs. After a few weeks of doing this 2 times a day, the legs will be much healthier. Perhaps this will also help the other chickens to not attack her so much also
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you just thinks its her legs that are the problem then, or could it be internal?
If it was more internal we likeky would not be eating or drinking as well either. The legs may be malign the other chickens attack us. Making all worse then
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She's not eating and drinking like usual, she hasn't eaten her usual food for days just pecks at a few treats/scraps then leaves it. She's tending to rest and put her head down and shut her eye's for a bit, even does it when I hold her in my arms bless her!
This all started after the other chickens started going after her though ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yes since the weekend.
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 9 days ago.
This is where the leg issues may have caused the other chickens to attack her, I injure her and scare her. Anything we can do to help her feel better, more treats or her most tasty food will help to recover. Do her stools and breathing seem normal now ?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5cDBrpXo7onXFQxJA
Just washed her legs and applied veg oil and daughter took some closer photos of legs and recent poo.
Thank you. All the white material in between the scales on the skin make me concerned about possible infection on the legs. The above items I sent Info on can help to clean the legs up also.
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 2 day ago.

How are things going today?