Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

One of our chickens has been off colour for 3 days. Loss of

Hi, one of our chickens has been off colour for 3 days. Loss of appetite, some runny poo and seems very thirsty. It will not come out of the shed it roosts in to forage like it usually does.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the chicken. What is the chicken's name?
Customer: Thank you, it’s called Matilda.
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Matilda?
Customer: It did have a broken egg that seemed to be hanging out of her bum which I managed to remove. It seems to have been unwell since then. She will be 3 in April.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better your case. Any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications we are on?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello, thank you for taking the time to help me. My hen has seemed unwell for 3 days, I’ve noticed she has not been laying eggs as often as she usually does but when she has they have had no shell just the yolk. She has not eaten much for the 3 days but is drinking. Her poo has been slightly runnier than normal. She doesn’t seem able to sit down as normal either. Today she has moved a bit but seems to stand with her head down and just looks really sorry for herself. I would hate to think she is sick but I’ve been told by our vet that the nearest place we could take her to be looked at is Wokingham which is 30 miles away.
Is there any change in Breathing, more rapid, any discharge from the nares or the eyes?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is breathing normally and there is no discharge from eyes or nose. Her comb on her head seems slightly flopped over which is unusual for her.
My concern is that we are experiencing sickness, likely an infection. This is causing the changes we are seeing. The concern is that with birds they can get worse very rapidly. There is a very good antibiotic called enrofloxacin that works well for this. Do you have a regular veterinarian that you use closer for any of your other pets ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yes we do where we take our dog to or we have a vets about 5 mins down the road
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I just request this antibiotic from any vets?
There is an antibiotic called enrofloxacin we use for cats and dogs in injectable form, we can use this orally for antibiotic usage. There is an anti-inflammatory for dogs called Meloxicam, it comes in a nice honey flavor liquid, we can use that for pain and inflammation. Even if they do not specialize in this species, these are options that they may have for us to get antibiotics and pain control for this species

These are both medications that most clinics have on hand for cats and dogs. Many times if a regular client of a clinic calls the clinic, explains what is going on, understanding the clinic does not normally specialize in birds, however once they understand what it is that you are needing, that they have the medications. I have had a lot of people have success in getting the medications from their regular clinic.

My concern is that we may deteriorate rapidly rapidly if we do not receive medical attetntion soon. In the meantime we will need to do all we can to keep the energy level and fluid intake up as much as possible. Using a syringe to get water into the system, if we are weak you can even add some sugar to the water to help get the energy levels up short term.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you so much for all your advice I will call the vets we go to with our dog and hopefully they can let us purchase the medication.
You are more than welcome. Please keep me updated as to how things go. Perhaps they will make you bring your bird in also. However if they know that they have the needed medication they are more likely to allow for seeing a chicken. Have a good day. Dr Mike