Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

I have an ex battery hen she’s about 12 months old, she has

Customer Question

I have an ex battery hen she’s about 12 months old, she has started rubbing her lower belly vigourously on the ground – like when they have a sand bath – but this is different. She has rubbed all the feathers off and has become very red raw. She is eating and running around a little but there is definitely something wrong…. I have noticed that out of the four young hens we have, suddenly we’re only getting three eggs, so I suspect she is the one that’s not laying?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the hen. What is the hen's name?
Customer: Little Blondie
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the hen?
Customer: no
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi, I’ve just joined - have you received my question?
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 8 days ago.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better your case. Any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications we are on?
My apologies for the delay. Would it be possible to send a picture if the reddened skin area ?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Mike,
No worries. I’ve Just got back from the local vets, apparently she’s not egg bound like I suspected – she has just got irritated skin and has been given cream for it. Bye
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for letting me know. Have a good day. Dr Mike