Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Yesterday evening my neighbour called me to help her as her

Yesterday evening my neighbour called me to help her as her cat had injured a young black bird's wing. With much difficulty we managed to catch him and place him in a box. It was impossible to check his injury but he was bleeding. It started raining so I decided to keep him in the house and prayed he would survive the night. Early this morning he was well rested and I let him out in my garden and watched his unsuccessful attempts to fly. Finally I decided to catch him again as his injury was worst than I thought. When I did he screamed and ran in the bushes and his mother appeared and called him loudly. I went in the kitchen from where I had a perfect view on the bush in which he was hiding and could easily see if my other neighbour's cat would come into my garden. I sat there for 2 hours and nothing happened. the little bird stayed quietly in hiding, the mother disappeared and there were no signs of cats. I got distracted on my phone and when I looked up again, there was the cat playing with him. I ran out, chased the cat away and found him alive and scared. I tried to catch him but he escaped and entered the neighbour's garden where the cat was. The cat caught him again and he was crying, so I climbed the small fence, chased the cat and finally, after a long search, I managed to catch him. Again he was very resistant to me, showing a lot of strength but now he is in the box in the house and hasn't eaten anything since last night. What should I do? What and how should I feed him? He is such a strong little thing. Please help.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the bird will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please contact me in whichever form is the quickest. thank you

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Good morning, sorry to hear of this situation. It sounds as if he has likely sustained a wing injury preventing him from flying. It would be best to take him to a vets for them to have a look at this and see if the injury can likely be successfully treated. Practices will generally treat wildlife casualties for free.

Unfortunately in many cases rehabilitation is not possible and euthanasia is sadly the only option.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bird is now at the local vet so I would like to cancel all payments to you as the answer was not quick enough. I read that I could be charged monthly membership fee. I do not wish to do that so please cancel any membership. Please reply confirming that all payments from me to you are cancelled. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't wish to call you and I don't wish to pay any fee. thank you

OK glad to hear that he is with a local vets. As a vet I have no control of payments or membership but I will ask customer services to look into this for you. Best wishes.