Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My budgie has his feathers puffed up for most of the day and

Hi there, my budgie has his feathers puffed up for most of the day and it is concerning me- he has been like this for a couple week, he still eats and drinks normally but he is a lot quieter than normal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: He recently moved into a bigger cage and I think he may be stressed but this has been going on longer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To add he also went through a phase of over preening and plucky feathers but this has now calmed down
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (3L3TVQS)

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call as the website sends these automatically.

When did he start becoming quiet?

Did this start before he moved to his new cage?

Has anything else happened that may stress him?

Has he moulted recently?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He’s been quite for maybe over a week, but even when he is out his cage he is still quite quiet, the quietness started after he moved into the cage -which I think might be the reason why, nothing else has happened, and I think he was moulting a couple weeks ago- he was constantly preening and a lot of feathers were coming out including flight and tail feathers. He has had his feather puffed constantly since and concerned that he is sick

Ok, is he eating/drinking/pooping normally?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is eating fine and his droppings are normal

Ok, it may just be the stress of moulting and moving home in quick succession. You can monitor him for the moment and he should start to come back to himself over the next week or so. If there's no improvement over the next 5-7 days or he starts to go off his food or has diarrhoea then an appointment with your vet should be made.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome, if you have any further queries/concerns you can return to this chat window even after accepting/rating the answer.