Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My parrotlets white and blue i need to knw male or female

my parrotlets white and blue i need to knw male or female
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have 2 parrotlets 1 is white and the other blue however I can't tell which is male or female can someone please help i was told ite relatively easy identifying parrotlets gender but im still stuck

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Could you send me pictures of both birds? In particular the underside of the wings? Thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm afraid i don not handle them as they are not tamed I can still send pictures
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
also how can I attach the pictures as there is no option on here

OK well if you can take as best as you can. You can attach using the paperclip icon in the reply box

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
im afraid the reply box does not let me attach pictures
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
finally managed to attach pictures from desktop please help me etc my answers
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (773V4MP)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (P4346TT)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (7G1V1QT)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (SGGLS4Z)

Thanks for the pictures. Your white bird appears to have some blue colouring over the wing which could indicate male, but really to underside of the flight feathers need to be examined to be certain. Your blue bird has a cobalt blue patch on the rump which suggests probably make as well, but again the flight feathers really need to be seen to be certain.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
sorry did you mean the blue is male too

Potentially yes but photos of the flight feathers would be needed to confirm.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (ZS4G5P6)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
these are pictures of the wings
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (L6P23V3)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
please let me know ive sent pictures of the feathers

OK, no significant blue on the white bird so she is female I believe

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thank you so much can I ask you one other question please
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The same white bird is dropping feathers, every morning I'm waking up to small tiny fluffy feathers on the floor. Even when she flies some fall but they are small festhers I'm attaching a picture.
I'm concerned incase its a serious condition im overlooking..
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (M1P6PG2)

I think a small amount of feather loss is likely to be normal, so long as she does not seem to be shedding excessively or becoming bald in any places?

Do you have a picture of the green birds wings?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
no she's not becoming bald

OK good

I think most likely nothing to worry about

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
that's assuring to hear...i have managed to get the feather pictures for the white...that's under the feather and over
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry I meant the blue NOT white* that's assuring to hear...i have managed to get the feather pictures for the *Blue...that's under the feather and over
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (1321ZVP)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (GTZ21QQ)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
these are to reveal the gender of the blue as you mentioned the white was definitely a Male

I said above that the white one is most likely female.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
okay I've sent you pictures of the blue bird as you requested earlier
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The breeder I purchased them from sold the white and blue claiming one is female and the other male. However I'm now finding out that the white is more than likely a female.I have also forwarded pictures of the blue one if you could check and let me know if thats a male or female please

Yes thanks. I believe that the blue one is most likely also female as there is no deeper blue colouration to the wings

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I've contacted the breeder and he has agreed that the white is a female and he made a mistake.
More than likely he tried to get away with it!
He is offering an option of swapping one of them for a male and has left me with the choice to choose which female to keep.
In your opinion which female out of the 2 is a better female bird
I understand you only have pictures to refer to, hence this is only a opinion as your more experienced than I am

Both birds look perfectly healthy as far as the pictures go, so the choice of which one to keep entirely is down to you and which colour you prefer. Their temperaments may also have some bearing if there is any notible difference between them

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

If I could just trouble you to leave me with a rating using the stars at the top of your screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.