Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

One of my chickens looks ill? She may be molting? but she

One of my chickens looks ill?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your chicken?
Customer: She may be molting? but she was ok this morning and now dopy and not feeding and not running around?
JA: What is your chicken's name and age?
Customer: My hen is called henrietta not sure of age as when i bought her she did't lay for a good few weeks.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Henrietta. How old is Henrietta?
Customer: Am not sure her age? could be a year ?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Henrietta?
Customer: Yes there is a yellow egg yoke in the pen and yellow poo coming out. Not eating. She did have some water.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I registered and payed £5 but was put through?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not put through i meant?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi All is well for my chicken she is still with us seams to have recovered somewhat.
But not 100 per cent, but looking better and still alive.
Maybe she had a Bug?
So i would like a response from Vet as she may still need treatment!

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

hank you for your patience. Could you tell me if laying has been occurring normally? Any abdominal distension?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Usually she lays one egg a day, not every day tho.
Sometimes one of the eggs looks scratch marks on it.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Maybe the bump in her chest looks a bit big?
I think where the food goes, can't be sure. Also she is loosing feathers around her neck, and yolk coming out instead of an egg. Yellow whitish poo on her bottom.

I see. I would be concerned about possible egg binding and/or the development of egg peritonitis. This can be a potentially very serious problem. Affected chickens struggle to lay, this progresses to yellow/green discharge from the vent and abdominal distension. Affected chickens also sometimes walk with more of a waddle.

The best plan here would be to get her examined by a vet familiar with chickens, see https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/find-a-vet for a Vet local to you who can examine her.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you very much, that does answer my question. It does sound like it could very well be.
I will get her to a vet as soon as possible. It sounds scary as i don't want to loose her.
Thanks again.

You're welcome. Best wishes.

Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience: BVetMed MRCVS