Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

I have a baby duckling, he was shrink wrapped so had to help

Customer Question

hi, I have a baby duckling, he was shrink wrapped so had to help it out of the shell with some tweezers, his right leg was bent backwards but that seems to have rectified itself, however when I put it on the wood shavings under the hest lamp it seems to have gotten some in its eyes and they are now closed and the right one swollen slightly, i am using a cotton bud with sterile saline to moisten and its been opening its eyes however I'm concerned about infection and wondering what was the best course of action
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the duckling can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the duckling?
Customer: 2 days old, can now stand and walk around, but eyes are closed, have a 5 day old duck separated by cardboard and was told to introduce tomorrow as older duck will teach to eat an drink
Category: Bird
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 6 days ago.

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 3 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  Jeanne Smith replied 3 days ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Jeanne Smith. I just came on line and saw your request. I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner. I'll do my best to help you with your duckling. I don't know whether you have access to any ophthalmic ointments in the UK. If you can get an antibiotic ophthalmic of any kind, flush the baby's eyes with sterile saline for contact lenses or Artificial Tears first, get them open and then squeeze a small bead of ointment across the lid margins 3 times daily. I'll be right back with more information.

You need to be very careful about introducing a smaller duckling, especially one that might be weaker and has eyes closed who may not be able to defend itself well. Bigger, older ducklings will often attack a smaller, weaker bird especially if they detect something wrong. It would be safer to create a wire pen or cage within the brooder and put the weaker baby's feeder on one side of the wire divider and the older ducklings' feeder on their side of the wire divider. Once you get the baby's eyes open she can see the other ducklings eat and it will do the same thing without the risk of attack. When she's older and back to normal she can be carefully introduced. If they've been able to see each other through a wire divider before introduction the introduction should be without incident, but keep a close eye on them at first.