Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

I have contacted my avian vet but they are unable to see us.

Hello, I have contacted my avian vet but they are unable to see us. My male cockatiel seems to have an abrasion on his foot, localized to his outside toe. There is no bruising or swelling, but he is trying to avoid putting weight on it. I have watched him use it to grip, and if he wants to get away from me he will fly to his cage and appear to land normally. Is there an ointment or cream I can safely use for the small cut? I am concerned about pain but also infection. Again, this cut is very tiny and I see no discoloration. He also did not squeal when I gave it a quick wipe with a damp q-tip.

Hi, this is Dr. Jeanne Smith. I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action. You can use a small amount of a Neosporin ointment or cream as long as it is one without a pain additive. Most of the pain additives in creams are steroids which are immunosuppressive and can be toxic in small birds like cockatiels. You can also use raw honey. It's a natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. If you have some or can get some (it's prescription) you can use 1% SSD cream, used for burns in people. I'll be right back with more information.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thank you. Were you able to view the photos of the injury? I tried to upload two but they are not showing on my end.

You can give your cockatiel Children's Liquid Motrin or Ibuprofen for pain. Give 2 drops orally every 12 hours for a few days. Or you can crush 1/2 of a 200 mg tablet of ibuprofen and mix it with 8 ounces of water for his drinking water. Clean his perches off really well to help prevent an infection.

No, no photos came through. Try sending again and if they don't do it this time you can email them to me at***@******.***.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
File attached (G23SZZQ)
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
File attached (Q55GZG6)

I saw the photos, thank you. My advice stays the same. It looks like a minor abrasion.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thank you, ***** ***** your advice! my regular vet's office didn't let me finish my question simply because the avian doctor wasn't in today. I am a little nervous to give him OTC pain reliever, but if it is definitely safe I will give it a try to help for the night.

I've been using that dose of ibuprofen in birds for probably 20 years. It's also included in the bird section of Carpenter's "Exotic Animal Formulary". It is safe.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I will give it a try then. Thank you for the advice! I have quite a few rescue pets, this being my first bird, and I am always so nervous about their health. This made me feel a bit more calm. Thanks again.

You're welcome. I hope he's feeling better quickly.