Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My budgie is, My budgie is fluffed up, and breathing

Customer Question

My budgie is
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the budgie's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: My budgie is fluffed up, and breathing heavily
JA: I know breathing problems can be worrying. Let's get you talking to the Vet. What's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: He's called peanut and is 3 yrs old I have two other budgies that live in the same cage
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Peanut?
Customer: they all saw an avian vet when I first got them because of runny poo and breathing problems that was two years ago
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The vet gave all three antibiotics , the other two recovered well but peanut has never been quite right, he has also lost his long tail feather and the long wing feather
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 10 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 10 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear this. It does sound like Peanut is suffering from a respiratory tract infection - commonly chlamydia in Budgies. It sounds as if another course of antibiotics is going to be required. This will need to be prescribed by your veterinary surgeon. I would also make sure that he is being fed a nutrious diet consisting of a complete food such as Harrisons superfine or Lafaber nutriberries.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.