Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I think my budgies are starting to get face mites. I'm not

I think my budgies are starting to get face mites. I'm not sure though so I'm looking to find out.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been concerned about the mites? Have you spoken to a vet about this?
Customer: Just started being worried today. I haven't spoken to a vet about iout it
JA: Has the budgie vomited recently? Any signs of blood in their stool?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: Lambic, hes 5 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: His beak looks crusty, as does his 6 month old friends

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Would you be able to send me a picture of the affected area?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.

OK great.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (43S5S4M)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This guy flew into the window yesterday so that's what the middle scratch is. But I'm worried about the crustiness.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (Z6SV124)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This yellow guy started having this white outline on his cere today in the morning. Didn't notice this yesterday.

Thanks for the photos. Indeed yes there is some crusting which could suggest infection with mites (Knemidocoptes). I would suggest treatment with Xeno 50 mini, 3 treatments in total at 2 week intervals. See https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supplies-rabbit-treatments-and-supplements-c-649_418/xeno-50-ivermectin-spot-on-9-pipettes-p-1501

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok, I will get some of this. How would you suggest I apply it? Directly to the cere?The birds are not fully finger trained so I doubt they will be happy to be touched by a pipette, any suggestions on how to make this as painless as possible?

There will be full instructions with the medication. It is applied to the skin of the back of the neck (after parting the feathers) not onto the cere. You will need to weigh the birds to dose them accurately. Holding in a towel or with gloves may help to achieve application.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks Doctor. Will do this :)

You're welcome. Best wishes