RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My female red-crested turaco has all the systems of gapeworm

Hi my female red-crested turaco has all the systems of gapeworm but I have tried all the gapeworm products and treatment for air sack mite all have made no difference so it's not any of these. symptoms breathing with open beak and coughing it is still feeding o k but is gradually becoming more lathargic it is now 3 weeks cince this started i need help
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the bird been lethargic? Any changes in her appetite?
Customer: about 4 days appetite still seems o k and is still reasonably strong on the wing
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: that is possible they live in a very big enclosure 80 feet by 60 feet heavily planted she is 7 years old
JA: What's the bird's name?
Customer: Red Crested Turaco
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: they area breeding pair and have reared young every year the male is not affected by this problem
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
on Friday I gave another gapeworm solution given to me by a friend who breeds pheasants this was applied to the fruit feed bowl as 2 parts wormer to 4 parts water and was left for 24 hours the solution soaks into the fruit this this morning the bird was not coughing only ocasionaly and the breathing was much better should I repeat this dosage for another day the last wormer i used was called worm away this was allso aplied to the fruit as water mix on 2 ocations but had little effect i presume it is not up to the job

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your Turaco isn't feeling well.

Symptoms of gapeworm are very similar to symptoms of all other respiratory problems, such as bacterial infection, mycoplasma, fungal infections etc. Over the counter products are also less effective than prescription medications for gapeworm/air sac mites. Air sac mites is fairly uncommon in a turaco. I would advise that you have her seen by an avian vet ASAP so that she can receive treatment with antibiotics/anti inflammatories as appropriate. I would recommend sticking to the manufacturers guidelines for this worming product, but usually one dose should be all that is required.

Kind regards,

Dr Coles