Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

How are a kakariki parrots claws supposed to be. We have a

How long are a kakariki parrots claws supposed to be. We have a young Kak (6months), and compared to our last bird (a red rump), they seem really long. He has no difficulty getting about or holding his food.

Hi, this is Dr. Jeanne Smith. I just came on line and saw your request. I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner. I'll do my best to help you with Bob. Are you able to send a close up and in focus photo of his foot so I can see how long his nails appear and try to describe to you how much needs to be removed. You can attach photos to this conversation.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry for the delay he isn't easy to get a picture of
Thank you. It's not easy to see in the photo but it does demonstrate what I hoped you would be able to see. If you hold your bird's toes up to strong light you'll see a darker part and a lighter, translucent part near the tip. The lighter translucent part is the overgrowth that can be trimmed. If you're doing it yourself you can be conservative and don't try to go as short as you can. Always have a styptic powder open and ready in case you accidentally hit the quick. When you hold your bird it will help to wrap it like a burrito in a washcloth and don't encircle his breast in your fist, cup him in the palm of your hand so his breastbone can go up and down to breathe. Hold each toe stationary as you trim.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I certainly wouldn't attempt it myself, he is not hand tame yet and the trip to the vet for his general check was so stressful for us both that I don't want to put him through it yet unless I really need to.
Ok, I misunderstood your question. The one nail I could see clearly in the photo is long enough to need trimming. If his other nails are that long it would be time for a nail trim.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks Jeanne, yes they are all that long, so I will book him in for a trim. Many Thanks
You're welcome. Have a great day.