Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I'd just like to know if my budgies feathers look like a

Customer Question

I'd just like to know if my budgies feathers look like a normal malt Molt
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the budgie had this molting?
Customer: About 2 weeks. It will be his/her 1st malt
JA: What environment do you keep the budgie in? Does she interact with other pets or animals?
Customer: A large cage (that he spends most of the time on us in our front room)
JA: What's the budgie's name?
Customer: Jelly (my sons name)
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (S5MTVGG)
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 18 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Thank you for the photo. I don't see evidence of a molt, only a nicely feathered budgie. There may be a series of juvenile molts and then these birds will molt 1-2 times annually. These molts, often referred to as the prenuptial and postnuptial molts. occur in spring and autumn respectively. The pattern of molting is orderly and in the following progression (with some overlap): the inner primaries; the outer primaries; the secondaries and tail feathers, and finally the body contour feathers. It is usually bilaterally symmetrical and is paced so as to avoid loss of flight capacity at any time.

Proper molting and replacement of feathers is heavily dependent upon diet.

Seeds should comprise less than 20% of his (I believe) diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard-boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese - yes, these low lactose foods are safe, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat. Here are some tricks in transitioning him to pellets: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/diet-conversion/

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.