RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

He has woken up with one eye closed and very lethargic,

Customer Question

He has woken up with one eye closed and very lethargic
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of bird are we talking about?
Customer: kakariki
JA: How long has the Kakariki been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: Just today, and he doesn’t seem to want to eat
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no I don’t think so
JA: And what's the Kakariki's name and age?
Customer: Nardole and we have had him for nearly 2 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Veterinarian to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello? My waiting time was up a while ago
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 9 days ago.

Hello there,

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your bird. Birds are very good at hiding symptoms of illness, so any change in demeanour is quite concerning and usually suggestive that they are very unwell. Birds have a very fast metabolism so if they are not eating they lose weight very quickly and do tend to deteriorate. The eye being closed could be specifically an issue with that eye (e.g conjunctivitis, sinusitis) or it could just be him being/feeling lethargic and holding the eyes shut/fluffed up. Conjunctivitis and sinusitis are often secondary to more systemic issues/respiratory infections. I would advise that you contact your emergency vets to have him seen tonight and I would not advise waiting until tomorrow. He likely will need antibiotics/anti inflammatories and he needs the eye examined to check for any scratches/foreign material etc. I would keep him somewhere warmer than usual, with easy access to food/water and can offer treat items to encourage him to eat. If you have any avipro avian or guardian angel I would advise adding this to his water now.

Dr Coles