RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Just had a phone call from my specialist avian vet about my

Customer Question

Just had a phone call from my specialist avian vet about my parrot prince ... saying his blood work is fine and clear ... but he has an infection in his nose that is rare and most antibiotics don't respond to the infection ... wondering on some advise he said its rare
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the infection been a concern for the parrot?
Customer: A few months
JA: And what's the parrot's name and age?
Customer: Prince and hes about 9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He had his nose cleaned and flushed also had some tests done on the stuff that was took out his nose which is why they said its rare but can't remember what they said it was as I was in shock
Category: Bird
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Okay no problem
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 8 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 4 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your parrot. It is hard to give you advice about this infection because you haven't mentioned the cause of the infection. Is it bacterial or fungal? It could be that your vet meant that the bacteria is resistant to multiple antibiotics (multi-resistant bacteria) meaning it is difficult to treat.  What type of parrot is Prince? This is quite a common problem that we see where discharge accumulates in the nose/nostrils and can affect the sinuses too. It sounds like your vet has done everything very well and has done everything I would recommend also. It is likely they performed a culture & sensitivity test on the material in his nose. It may be worth talking to your vet again so that they can explain everything which has been done however it does sound like they are doing everything they can for Prince. Issues with nasal discharge can also be due to vitamin A deficiency so I would ensure that his diet is adequate (plenty fruit/veg, pelleted food, small amount of seed only) and I would advise adding avipro avian to his water three times weekly.

Dr Coles