RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

She is a 14 yr old African Grey. Was fine last night, now

Customer Question

She is a 14 yr old African Grey. Was fine last night, now panting audibly, appearing to want to vomit, making distressed noises.
JA: I know panting can be worrying. Let's get you talking to the Vet. What's the African gray's name?
Customer: Ruby
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She's 14
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 9 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your african grey. I am sorry for the delay in response to your question as experts who deal with exotic species are available less often. How is your african grey now? There are many different things which could be causing her symptoms. Heavy panting is often a sign of respiratory distress. This is usually caused by respiratory infections, either bacterial or fungal. It can also be caused by swelling of the abdomen, causing lack of space in the lungs/air sacs. Fungal infections can be caused by vitamin A deficiency and high seed diet. I would advise (if you have not already) taking him to your vet ASAP as she needs to be examined and have emergency treatment such as oxygen, antibiotics, anti inflammatories, nebulising etc. Unfortunately there is not much treatment you can provide at home. I hope she is OK.

Dr Coles