Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Chicken I am struggling to find a local vet who will look at

Customer Question

JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Chicken I am struggling to find a local vet who will look at chickens
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the chicken's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: She has been a bossy bantam hen until yesterday when I thought she was getting broody Last night she was outside eating with thr others This morning she was still in nest, I took her out to feed but she went back in I isolated her in the house And noticed she passed white wet fluid And a soft egg She wasn't making any noises and her cloaca was pulsing I massaged her and cleaned her bum And now she is moving around and eating apple not hard food Her chirping is faint but she is taking to me
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the fluid. What environment do you keep the chicken in? Does she interact with other pets or animals?
Customer: She lives with 5 other bantams in a large covered run They share a coop
JA: What's the chicken's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** age is 2.5yra
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Chicken?
Customer: She has been laying normally and very active until todayCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She is drinking a lot and walking around now.. she is making a constant low pitch chirp.
I opened the door of the cage and she is having a wonder around my living room. I guess my big concern is egg peritonitis
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (Z4MTQT7)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (7PZG2M1)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Have just taken her back to the run and she made a beeline for the nest. I have brought her back in but she is pacing a lot. Not sure if being inside is also causing stress
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I offered her sunflower hearts from my hand and she ate a good amount
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 9 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
I will next discuss differentials for the weakness, potentially looser feces, stabilizing and cleaning the skin.
The following discussion is a top differential to
consider when birds start to not feel well and seem to worsen rapidly.
Birds have a very unique airway system called air sacs. They are not like our lungs, the air is pushed through them end to end. When they start to have airway issues, we call it airsaccullitis, inflammation of the airways, It can start to make for louder breathing. In addition it can make for more labored breathing and as the air sacs do cover a very large part of the body they can also start to make more of these pronounced breathing signs too. It can be possible for bacteria to get into the airways and to lead to infection in this area also. This can be called airsaccullitis. As this condition can progress quite rapidly. It is best to be seen soon at a clinic to look to start on potentially needed medication. At an agriculture supply store or online or can look for Vitamin B complex and LA200 (oxytetracycline). This B complex has 8 of the B vitamins in it, they can help with energy and metabolism. The LA200 is an injectable antibiotic, you may also find generic forms of it too. It has broad activity against many potential bacteria also. This is also over the counter. Often secondary bacterial infections can come from the primary problem. The Oxytetracycline can help to address potential secondary infections also.
This link below has many good items to review below also.
https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/chicken-antibiotic-medications/products/amoxicillin-10-powder-generic#how-to-useEnsure they stay warm as they they are prone to getting more chilled. Normal temperature is 101F. A heating pad or socks filled with rice warmed in a microwave can help to keep core temperature up too.If becomes weaker and not taking oral supplementation well, then can use a syringe to gently place sugar water in the mouth, Karo Syrup also can be placed on the gums to assist in getting blood sugar levels back up.A broad spectrum dewormer may also be of benefit. Online at the above website there are many brands and types to look at. In addition Fenbendazole is an active ingredient that can be looked at too. Amprolium is an over the counter item that can be mixed with the water in the event that Coccidiosis is present also. Having a fecal test at your veterinarian will tell for sure what parasites may be present.Fenbendazole is an oral over the counter dewormer available online or at agricultural supply stores.
Ivermectin is an over the counter product that also can address mites and also will deworm at the same time.https://allbirdproducts.com/products/ivermectin-solution?_pos=1&_sid=a30f238da&_ss=rThe concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it. This can webe sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon. It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.1. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray
The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.
2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.Until able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub.The market for this species is very small and such not many products are available for them. That is where we look for the active ingredients. That is most important. If you can find a product only for this species that is great. However in practice those are the same active ingredients we use on these species too. I hope that this helps to explain this better.
I wanted to provide this information for you to review and consider until you were able to respond and we can discuss more. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. I will be happy to discuss them more with you. It has been a pleasure assisting you and your chicken today. I wish for a speedy recovery and have a great day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.