Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

I wonder if you can help me We own 3 ducks, 2 being male.

Customer Question

Hello I wonder if you can help me We own 3 ducks, 2 being male. One of the males has been attacked by a dog & is suffering with what is an injured leg. They’re semi wild and hard for us to catch. At the same time the other male is trying to attack him. Any advise would be amazing. Thank you
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. When did the duck injure his leg? Have you seen a vet yet?
Customer: about an hour ago and sadly not. Just catching the duck alone will be very hard, not impossible but hard. & the chance of us being able to see anybody tonight is I think slim
JA: Hi there. Did he bleed at all from the injury?
Customer: no bleeding x
JA: What's the duck's name and age?
Customer: Mallard & we’ve had him for 3 years but his previous owners about 2 we are led to believe
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so x
Category: Bird
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 18 days ago.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.

Unfortunately, due the the RCVS law, they'd need to be seen before we can dispense any Prescription Medication (such as Antibiotics or Antiinflammatories). There is nothing "over-the-counter" that I could recommend.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.

You can keep the wounds clean with some boiled (and cooled) salty water till they get seen. Usually a short course of antibiotics and some pain-relief nurses them back to health.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.

Is there anything else I could assist you with?