Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

My budgie (hen) is regurgitating or vomiting quite abit and

Customer Question

My budgie (hen) is regurgitating or vomiting quite abit and is very sleepy and lethargic
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: Seems to be seed She is in her first breeding condition
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: She was yesterday nibbling at cement in between bricks on the fire Place but was for all of seconds before I noticed and put her away
JA: What's the budgie's name?
Customer: Venus
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not that I can think
Category: Bird
Expert:  Jeanne Smith replied 15 days ago.
Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith. I just came on line and saw your request. I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner. I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action for Venus. It's possible she ate something that is irritating her GI tract or is toxic. It's also possible there were bacteria foreign to her GI tract in what she nibbled and she has a bacterial enteritis. I'll give you supportive care suggestions to help her. If she isn't better later today ir tomorrow try to get her seen by a veterinarian familiar with birds as soon as you can. You can give her kaopectate or peptobismal suspension 1 drop orally twice daily. It's a symptomatic treatment for nausea. Gi to a Petsmart or Petco and get a reptile night light. These are 75-100 watt blue, red, or ceramic bulbs that put out heat but not visible light. Set it up in a clamplight or desk lamp to the side of the cage where she can perch next to it or move away from it. Leave it on 24/7:without disturbing her sleep. Radiant heat like that really helps sick birds to recover. Until you can get the light move her cage into a bathroom you can heat up to the low 80's.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't have peptobismal I have gaviscon though is it the same?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
she chewed at the cement between bricks on fire Place for seconds before I caught her and put her back in the cage
Can you send me a photo of the label showing active ingredients of what you have?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (7S5PGT6)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Or I have these imodium capsules
I'm not familiar with any products like that in birds. I can't say. Imodium doesn't help with nausea, it's an anti-diarrheal.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok she is just trying to eat now
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Have just put guardian angel
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Put it in the water
That's fine. Won't help with nausea but can help her immune system if she's got an infection. Make sure you dilute it enough so she'll readily drink. Sometimes the label tells you to make it so strong they won't drink it. If you make it 1/4 strength they'll usually drink it well.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will keep her warm and quiet through the night and if no better will call the local vet in the morning
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We are now at the vets