RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I am already signed up to this service and would like to

Customer Question

I am already signed up to this service and would like to speak to a vet about my runner duck
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the duck's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Since yesterday. She is gulping, like she's taking in air and her chest goes in
JA: What environment do you keep the duck in? Does she interact with other pets or animals?
Customer: She free ranges through the day and then goes into an enclosure with other ducks and chickens
JA: And what's the duck's name and age?
Customer: Hoisin and she's almost 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I lost a duck last week to an infection so the others have been on a 5 day course of antibiotics. I have also just finished worming themCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Bird
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would like to wait
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 9 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your duck. It sounds like she is having respiratory issues. Respiratory issues in ducks can be caused by several different things, such as parasites (gapeworm), infections such as chlamydia, mycoplasma etc. Do you know what type of antibiotics they were on? Some infections do not respond to certain types of antibiotics  especially chlamydia and mycoplasma, these are usually best treated with doxycyline. I would advise taking your duck to the vet again ASAP and they may take swabs of the mouth/nostrils to try and diagnose what is causing the infection.

Dr Coles