RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My duck has damaged his claw to the back of his foot, He

Customer Question

My duck has damaged his claw to the back of his foot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the duck's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: He damaged it yesterday. It looks torn
JA: What environment do you keep the duck in? Does he interact with other pets or animals?
Customer: He and one other duck live in a 10m diameter pen. On grass with a pool
JA: And what's the duck's name and age?
Customer: Donald . 7yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Bird
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks. Waiting for a response
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 10 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an Online Advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your duck. Are you able to attach a picture of the claw? Is the duck able to walk OK? Has there been any bleeding? Is he still eating normally?

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 6 days ago.

Hi there,

I haven't received any further response from yourself but I just wanted to offer you some advice. You mentioned that the claw was damaged so it is likely he has either caught it/damaged it on something or has been bitten by another bird. Any wound on the claw can be infected easily due to the location and often ducks can be quite messy. I would advise carefully cleaning the wound with dilute hibiscrub solution or cooled boiled salty water. However it is likely uncomfortable for him and there is also a possibility he could have damaged the toe joints or even broken the bone. So I would recommend you taking him to your vet ASAP to have him examined. He will need to have some anti inflammatories and possibly antibiotics.