RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Hiya ive noticed my budgie has feather loss on her

Customer Question

Hiya ive noticed my budgie has feather loss on her chest(neck) and vent area. Tried mite treatment but dont think thats the issue as our local vet has treated her several times and his hasnt made a difference.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been concerned about the mite?
Customer: few months
JA: Has the budgie vomited recently? Any signs of blood in her stool?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: Bluebell, 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bluebell?
Customer: occaisonally has watery poops
Category: Bird
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 18 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your budgie. Mites in budgies usually cause crusting on the cere and the legs, rather than feather loss. Have you seen your budgie picking at the skin? Often feather loss can be due to underlying illness in birds. Sometimes they can pluck the feathers due to irritation from something internally, for example pain in the gastrointestinal tract, or pain in the abdomen. It is possible she could have infection internally which is causing discomfort. I would recommend having her examined by an avian vet so that they can determine if there is something underlying. She may need to have blood tests performed and x-rays or she may respond to medications such as anti inflammatories and antibiotics.  I hope she feels better soon.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She doesn’t pick at her skin but she doesn’t scratch her vent with her foot a lot.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Does scratch her vent*

Yes so it sounds like her abdomen could be uncomfortable.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your help

No problem please do not hesitate to come back to us if you require further assistance.