Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My hen is very lethargic and struggling to breath, shes

Customer Question

My hen is very lethargic and struggling to breath , shes gurgling , wery watery poo
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the hen been lethargic? Any changes in her appetite?
Customer: She is 7years old so is quite slow yesterday was the first i noticed she was puffing
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: Eating is ok for her
JA: What's the hen's name?
Customer: Flapjack
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I lost a hen a week or so ago and she was struggling breathingCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have received any ideas yet
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 21 days ago.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 21 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 21 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this with Flapjack, it does sound like she is very poorly indeed, possibly with a severe respiratory infection. Unfortunately once chickens get to this stage, invariably they do not make it. It may be better to humanely euthanase her to prevent further suffering if this is something you are comfortable doing, or get your vet to do so. Treatment could be attempted with antibiotics but I feel that her prognosis is likely to be guarded at best.

If you would like to have her examined first had by a vet then I would suggest checking here https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/find-a-vet

I'm sorry to not be able to give you a more positive outlook, please let me know if there is anything further I can do.

Best wishes,

Dr Chris

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 21 days ago.

In addition if you have other chickens then it may be sensible to consider sending for a postmortum to establish to cause of her illness to help prevent the same problems with others in the flock. There is also a small possibility of this being Avian Influenza which would need to be reported to the AHPLA (DEFRA) as there has been a recent outbreak amongst poultry at several sites in the UK

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i fear the same i do have a vet in sheen i can visit
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She is quiet and isolated from the others
I will contact my vet tomorrow
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 21 days ago.

You're welcome. Best wishes.