RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Crow, Few month, start to fall its tail, i mean feathers, I

JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Crow
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the crow's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Few month, start to fall its tail, i mean feathers
JA: What environment do you keep the crow in? Are there other pets or animals around?
Customer: I keep it in a cage outside
JA: What's the crow's name and age?
Customer: Croco, and i found it sinnce he was a little cick
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: One year
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is there a treatment for this, because i want to help him
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can send some pictures if it helps

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
please

Hi there,

Welcome to just answer. We are an online based advice service.

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with this crow.  Is this a wild crow? Are the feathers white and brittle? are the other feathers normal? Is the crow eating ok and what are you feeding him on?

It is actually an offence to keep wild animals caged in captivity (even though I understand you are trying to help him) unless you are a wildlife rehab or a vet providing treatment. Have you considered trying to find a wildlife rescue that could take him? Nutritional issues are common in crows. Sometimes fledgelings will be abandoned by their parents if they have any underlying disease. This may be why you found him when he was a chick. We often see white brittle feathers and loss of feathers with crows who have nutritional deficiencies and skeletal abnormalities. I would advise ensuring you are feeding him on a balanced diet and making sure you have read up about the diet of corvids. I would also advise supplementing him three times weekly with a vitamin supplement such as avipro avian. However it would be best to find a wildlife rehabilitation so that he can be examined and possibly gradually released back into the wild or even kept in a large aviary rather than a cage.

Dr Coles

RebeccaC921,
Experience: Expert