Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

Chicken lethargic, drooling a little bit when being picked

Customer Question

Chicken lethargic, drooling a little bit when being picked up
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the chicken been lethargic? Any changes in appetite?
Customer: only noticed that 30 min ago, she was resting maybe more during the day
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: She was in her coop area, most of the day and there is nothing unusual there. I let her out to the whole garden only 2 hours ago, but I don’t think there is anything toxic, unless something dropped out of the compost bin (but that would be only gone off veggies anf fruit and peels )
JA: And what's the chicken's name and age?
Customer: Nugget, 2.5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Nugget?
Customer: no
Category: Bird
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 6 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I’m a vet in the U.K.  I’m sorry to hear that Nugget is ill. The symptoms you describe are somewhat worrying. As birds can get ill quickly I would recommend you call your local vet today if possible for a physical exam.
Even gone off vegetables and fruit can present a risk as they develop dangerous levels of mycotoxins. There are lots of other things it could be though like sour crop, mouth infection, respiratory disease.

https://lafeber.com/vet/wp-content/uploads/Signs_of_Illness.pdf

This link contains general information on how to spot your bird is ill. It will be worth asking if your vet normally sees chickens as they require different medications to other small pets like cats and dogs to be stocked in the practice.