RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I have a parrot that seems to have gotten listless and tired

I have a parrot that seems to have gotten listless and tired very quickly. I am concerned about this change in his behaviour, as he is usually extremely lively.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the parrot. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The parrot is an unusual one - he is a Kea (Nestor notabilis)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.

Hello there,

Welcome to JustAnswer. We are an online based advice service.

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your parrot. Keas are very different to other types of parrots, they are very boisterous and destructive as I am sure you know. For a Kea to be quiet/listless and tired is definitely out of character and would make me concerned that there is something underlying causing this . Birds are very good at hiding symptoms of illness, so these subtle changes can be difficult to pick up on. Often for many different types of illness, the symptoms will be much the same (quiet, not right/tired). It could be one of many things going on including infections, kidney disease, liver disease, gastrointestinal infection, parasitic infection. I would advise adding a supplement to his water such as avipro avian or guardian angel which is a probiotic/electrolyte supplement. However with birds it is very important to have them examined by a vet ASAP and receive vet treatment. He may need to have bloods obtained as well as some other tests for example a faecal test. If he is not eating the vet may need to hospitalise him for supplemental feeding. If you can I would advise feeding him with something such as harrisons recovery formula (often they will lap this off a syringe or will take off a spoon) to keep his calorie levels up and ensure he is getting adequate nutrition. Please don't hesitate to come back to us if you have further questions. I hope he is feeding better soon.

Dr Coles