Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a injured woodpecker. It’s been attacked by a cat. It

Customer Question

Hi I have a injured woodpecker. It’s been attacked by a cat. It has a wound under on one side. I’m wondering how best to save it. It’s eyes are wide open and blinking. I’ve placed it on kitchen roll in a container and brought it into the warmth. It’s laid on the side of its wound for some compression. But beyond that I don’t know what to do?? I live in Clumber Park S80 3BX so I’m looking for a emergency wildlife vet or advice?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the woodpecker been lethargic? Any changes in appetite?
Customer: it was attacked about 30 mins ago
JA: Could the woodpecker have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no it’s been attacked by a cat
JA: What's the woodpecker's name and age?
Customer: its a wild bird young male
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: its a wild woodpecker recently grabbed by a cat. I got it from the cat immediately but it has puncture marks and a small loss of blood
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.If you have a cardboard box with a lid, make some holes for air and place him inside so he has privacy. Put in some cat food or seeds and a shallow dish of water with a branch for perching.Minimise handling as much as possible.Most private small animal vets will be happy to take injured wildlife. They would either treat it themselves or send it to a local wildlife sanctuary they work with.
You can try Vets 4 Pets on 01909 478666.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 9 days ago.

Hello, this is just Dr Linda checking back to ensure this is all OK?