Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My Cocktail hurt his leg; he is in a good spirit but not

Customer Question

My Cocktail hurt his leg; he is in a good spirit but not much active, balancing over one side more or lowering his body. Should I wait for a few days or take him to a vet? What could be done? He is 17 years old highly social
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of bird are we talking about?
Customer: Cockatiel
JA: How has the cockatiel's appetite been? Any changes in his stool?
Customer: eats less, can't move much freely. Could not see changes in his stools
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no he hit himself when he was flying in the room
JA: What's the cockatiel's name?
Customer: Chou Chou
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he is a healthy bird, he had a broken wing, which is now fully recovered
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Chou Chou. Regrettably, it would be a fool's errand on my part to assess the extent of injury from afar. These birds need to be examined hands-on by an avian vet (theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinaryadvice/avian-vets) from the plantar surface of the foot (that which contacts the ground) all the way up to the hip. We're looking for bumblefoot lesions on the foot, gout lesions, swelling anywhere along the leg, and discoloration under the skin indication bruising or hemorrhage from a broken bone. Until a vet can attend to Chou Chou you can provide pain relief by dissolving 1 325 mg adult aspirin in 250 mL (1/2 pint) of his drinking water. A new solution should be made up daily.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.