Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

I have a cockatiel, she's almost 3 years old, I've noticed

Hi, I have a cockatiel, she's almost 3 years old, I've noticed about an hour ago she has a little swelling on her leg which i want to call her elbow because I don't know it's real name, but I suspect she's bumped it, or the band on her leg into it, when lending on her cage, and grabbing for the bars, (she lands on the side of the cage a lot) is it necesary to cut off the band? No vet around me is currently open, and I don't know if they deal with birds, It's too late to ask them for adivice, can you help me
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did the cockatiel cut herself? Is she bleeding at all?
Customer: there are no cuts, there's just a little bit of swelling, and i think bruising
JA: What's the cockatiel's name?
Customer: her name is*****: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Luna?
Customer: she was hand reared, I don't know if that would matter
Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith. I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action. I'll be reading your question and typing a response for a few minutes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Jeanne. thank you I appreciate it.
It's only necessary to cut off the band if it is tight. If you can move it around it can stay on. Cutting off bands is really tricky. I don't recommend trying it yourself. Without actual band cutters they tend to twist and injure the leg. I've treated several broken legs on birds when the owner tried to cut the band themselves. You can give her Children's liquid mitrin or ibuprofen orally, 2 drops three times daily for a couple days to reduce pain and swelling.
If my the band is tight and doesn't move you should try to find a vet who can do it this weekend. It is an emergency.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the band is able to spin around, theres at least a millimetre or 2 of a gap there. I appreciate I can hurt her if I tried something myself, so I'm not about to do that. How would I administer the ibuprofen, do I dilute it or try to just get her to have the drops ?
It's best to ho get the Children's liquid ibuprofen so you don't have to dilute anything. Wrap her in a small towel cupped in the palm of your hand hold the sides of her head gently and put two drops in the corner of her beak.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Understood, I appreciate you helping us today, I was really anxious about it but from what you said I'm a lot calmer now, thank you so much!
You're welcome.