Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

We have a peahen - not strictly a pet but she lives with us.

we have a peahen - not strictly a pet but she lives with us. We think she has arthritis as her right claw is always curled into a fist and she rarely gets out of her basket these days. is there any form of medication we can get?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Peahen
JA: Have you spoken to a vet about arthritis yet?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the animal's name and age?
Customer: Penny - 20 years we think
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Penny?
Customer: she is ostensibly a wild bird who lives with us - we cannot physically move her so a remote consult will be the only way forward

Hi, this is Dr. Jeanne Smith. I just came on line and saw your request. I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner. I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action. At Penny's age arthritis is common. I suggest using glucosamine HCl, available at any pharmacy. It's safe and effective. It does take a week or two to see the benefits. It's much safer on kidneys and intestinal tract than the non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, especially for long term use. She'd need it the rest of her life. I'll be right back with instructions.

Most peahens run about 8 pounds, so I would calculate her dose based on that. It's very safe so if you think she isn't improving much after 2 weeks of use you can increase the dose, even double.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Dr Smith. This is really helpful. We will pick up some tablets in the morning and get Penny started on them as soon as possible.

You're welcome.