Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

Morning I havea, I have an affrican parrot she is 27 years

Customer Question

Morning I havea
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I have an affrican gray parrot she is 27 years old and just finished laying 3 eggs which won't be fertile as she has never had a partner this is 4th lot she has had but this time she is just sitting on the bottom of the cage only going on the perches to feed or to drink her nostrils are clear and eyes are bright bum is clear and poo is normal not runnie?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the parrot's situation?
Customer: She as vitamins in her water pot and feeding bowls please help I am disabled and what what going on with this covid I don't know what to do
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What environment do you keep the parrot in? Does she interact with other pets or animals?
Customer: Only 2 dogs but they have been together over 16 years the room is the living room where she has been since we had her since she was a baby and like I said she is 27 now
JA: What's the parrot's name?
Customer: Earl Grey only because when I got her I was told she was a boy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Any advice you can give me remember I am disabled and can not get out
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
African Gray parrot
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 11 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  Jeanne Smith replied 11 days ago.
Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith. I just came on line and saw your request. I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner. I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action. There are two likely possibilities for Earl's symptoms . She may be hypocalcemic. Eggshell formation takes a lot of calcium and even if she's on a pelletized diet with included calcium she'd need to be on a breeder formulation to supply enough calcium for 3 clutches of eggs. Vitamin mixes don't include calcium but it's good you give that because she needs the vitamin D3 to absorb calcium. Crush a human calcium tablet or a Tums and mix with one teaspoon or 5 cc of water. Give her 0.5 cc orally with an eyedropper or a syringe. Do that daily for a week. Thevother possible cause is that she may be eggbound with a 4th egg. Wrap her in a towel and massage her abdomen to see if you feel an egg. If you feel one create a sauna like environment for her, mid 80'sF and very humid. The easiest way to do this is to put her in a carrier or small cage in a bathroom with a shower, heat the room to mid 80's and run a hot shower periodically to fog up the room. Keep her in there until she lays the egg. It works in about 90% of eggbound cases.