Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

I have four disabled Herring Gulls - the oldest which has

Customer Question

I have four disabled Herring Gulls - the oldest which has been with us for ten years. During the day they wander about our yard and in the evening get put into hutches and get fed. The youngest one which is about 2 years old has developed a hard lump about 1cm across on the sole of his foot. About a week ago I noticed he was sitting down a lot and in the past few days he's been holding his leg up so it must be painful. I have bathed it each morning over the last three days but it doesn't make any difference. Any ideas what I can do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Herring Gull
JA: Sometimes a lump is serious, but it can be hard to know for sure. Let's see what the Expert has to say. What's the Herring's name and age?
Customer: "Big Baby" because he's the bigger of two babies and now about two years old. He's not a Herring fish he's a Herring Gull.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
Category: Bird
Expert:  Teodora B replied 11 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 11 days ago.

Is there any chance you could send me a picture of his foot?

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

Based on the information you have provided so far my best recommendation is to have the lump checked at your local vet. There are a few medical conditions that we can treat with oral medication, but a few of them are surgical. So it's best one of my colleagues has a hands-on evaluation of the foot.