Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

One of my chickens is clearly ill. She sits up, like a

Customer Question

One of my chickens is clearly ill. She sits up, like a runner duck. Tail down, knees half bent. She can barely move around, is hardly eating. Her comb and wattle are a healthy red though. She doesn't seem particularly skinny.She started being slow about 5 days ago and since then it has gradually got worse. Any idea what this might be?
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the chicken seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Not visibly, but who knows?
JA: What's the chicken's name and age?
Customer: Prunella. She was given to us, no idea how old she is. Maybe 3 or 4 years old? Only guessing.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Prunella?
Customer: One of our other chickens died a couple of weeks back. But she did not sit in funny upright position, she just lay down and stopped moving. Then died after a few days. I have put Prunella in a different pen from the others in case it's something contageous.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I still want the answer. Thx
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 13 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
please.
Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

I appologise about the wait.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

How does the crop feel? How are the faeces? Any discharge from the eyes/nose?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Comb and wattle very dark and floppy. Diarrhea.crip feels normal I think. Chicken not standing up. Tail pointing down. Not eating or drinking.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No discharge from eyes or nose
Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Thank you. Based on the information you have provided so far, my best recommendation is to give your local vet a call and book Prunella in for an consult. I strongly suspect we are dealing with something infectious, but unfortunately, due to the RCVS law, we are not allowed to dispense any antibiotics without a hands-on examination. In the meanwhile, please continue to keep her isolated. If she passes away, please ask for a necropsy/post-mortem exam.