Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Loss of feathers on a chicken, It was a few weeks ago, but

Loss of feathers on a chicken
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the chicken was losing feathers?
Customer: It was a few weeks ago, but the patch is getting bigger and I noticed a bit of blood today
JA: Is the chicken's skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: I don't think so. The other 3 are ok
JA: And what's the chicken's name and age?
Customer: Frank.... about 2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Frank?
Customer: I don't think so
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has hydrocortisone in it. This can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon. It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.1. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray
The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.
2. There are many topical
Hydrocortisone sprays that can be applied that can help with itch, pain and inflammation.Until able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub.The market for this species is very small and such not many products are available for them. That is where we look for the active ingredients. That is most important. If you can find a product only for this species that is great. However in practice those are the same active ingredients we use on these species too. I hope that this helps to explain this better.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do you still want a picture?
A picture will be most beneficial.
If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.
The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.1. Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)
2. Duoxo pyo spray
3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf
I was trying to call. However it just kept ringing. Were you getting the call on your end?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Didn't realise it was £16 I'll leave it!
We do not have to call then. We can type all here.
If you can send me a picture to review I will be happy to assess it.