Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 13-year-old dog, Bertie, has a sore or itchy patch on his

Customer Question

My 13-year-old dog, Bertie, has a sore or itchy patch on his anus which is causing him distress. It looks like an inflamed pusy lump or maybe a boil. He is constantly licking it and panting. The local vets are closed or don't consider this an emergency and won't see him. I'll take him to the vet as soon as I can get an appointment tomorrow, but how can I relieve the discomfort for him?
JA: I know panting can be worrying. Let's get you talking to the Vet. What's the dog's name?
Customer: Bertie.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bertie?
Customer: He's normally well and active and hungry!
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This is a dog we are talking about, not a bird!!
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.What breed is he?When did this begin?Could you please send a clear photo of the affected skin?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He is a lab/collie cross. It started last night sometime. No, I can't send a photo. It's a swelling outside his anus, which looks as though it's filled with pus. He's distressed and panting - not good at his age.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK, please can we continue here.
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.There are a few possibilities here including an anal gland abscess, insect bite, foreign body reaction, hot spot etc.Panting cab indicate fever and/or pain.As you say he is distressed, this would be classed as an emergency as he requires treatment today. Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics, pain relief and lancing of any pus.I would call your local emergency clinic and advise he is distressed so they can see him now. If you need some contact details, please let me know your postcode.At home, prevent licking with a buster collar if needed. You can also gently bathe the area in salt water if tolerated.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Maybe I'd better call the emergency clinic locally. Thank you for your time.
Absolutely, I think this is best for Bertie.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.Wishing him a full and speedy recovery.Stay safe.