Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

By blue and gold macaw is very suddenly heavily breathing,

By blue and gold macaw is very suddenly heavily breathing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this strange breathing happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the macaw have a cough as well?
Customer: I’ve only just noticed it, not noticed a cough
JA: And what's the macaw's name and age?
Customer: Tommy, 2 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Tommy?
Customer: I don’t think so
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File attached (33P7Q36)
Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith. I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action. The photo ir video you uploaded must be too big a file for this site. You can email it to me at***@******.***.
I haven't seen the photo but I can tell you that sudden onset of labored breathing can be due to an inhaled toxin, aspirated food or water, or acute aspergillosis (a fungal infection of trachea or bronchi). If the labored breathing is severe, open beak gasping, get to an emergency clinic as soon as possible. If an inhaled toxin from cleaning products, aerosols, burnt Teflon is possible get him outside right away.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, I’ll resend the video by email.He seems to have settled now and he’s fine. I just spoke to a friend that has 10 parrots and she said that he was regurgitating as it’s their mating season and he was getting frisky.There’s been no aerosols or anything like that near him. I know exactly everything he’s eaten todayVery strange.
I'm glad to hear he's okay. I'll look at the video and let you know what I think.
I saw the video. He isn't using abdominal motion or effort to breathe anymore?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he seems perfectly fine now. Luckily, I was about to drive for 45 mins and pay £180 consultation fee for an emergency vet
Whew! Just keep an eye on him.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do, thank you for your help. I got very concerned there
No doubt! You're welcome.