Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

MMy parrot (alexandrite parakeet I believe) just

Customer Question

JA: Hi there. What type of bird are we talking about?
Customer: MMy parrot (alexandrite parakeet I believe) just unexpectedly flew from its cage and my dog (frenchie) had a go at it. I didn't see exactly what happened as it all happened and when I shouted he left it alone. It looks like the only obvious injury is a broken toe as it is wonky now and he is also having trouble staying on his perch. He can climb and is still alert and can balance on a perch of he is still but when he tries to move on the perch he falls
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you seen a vet yet about the toe break?
Customer: No not yet. It just happened
JA: Did he bleed at all from the break?
Customer: No. No bleeding It is just bent and lack of balance He is also untamed (we have only had him since sunday) so it is very difficult to examine him for injury
JA: What's the parrot's name and age?
Customer: Pingu and we believe he is 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He had tye end of x1 toe missing when we got him (on the same foot) but that is all. And the fact that he is still not tame so he will bite and will be stressed
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Alexandrine Parakeet
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He seems OK but is struggling to balance on his perches. He keeps falling off can balance for a while and can shuffle accross the perch a bit but will then fall again.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He already had a bit of 1 toe missing from that foot but the toe next to that now seems to be bent
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Do you think he will be OK till morning?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 18 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Pingu  Regrettably, I have no manner in which to asses the extent of his injuries and so he needs to be placed in a quiet, dimly lit, warm, unlikely to be disturbed area in order to sleep and combat shock.  Even if he were easily handled, I would encourage that that not be done.  If he appears weakened, remove his perches and place his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him.  For pain relief, you can dissolve 1 325 mg adult aspirin in 250 mL (1/2 pint) of his drinking water.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.